Brazilian Style Golden Turkey and Black Bean Bowl with Charred Sweetcorn Salsa
2 tbsp sunflower oil
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 red chillies, finely chopped
4 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1½ tbsp smoked paprika
½ tbsp ground cumin
2 x 400g cans black beans
1 litre vegetable stock
3 bay leaves
2 red peppers, diced
1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
200g leftover Golden Turkey leg and breast meat,
torn into strips
Lime wedges, to serve
Sour cream (optional), to serve
For the salsa:
2 sweetcorn cobs
½ red chilli, finely diced
6 spring onions, finely sliced
½ small red onion, peeled and finely diced
Juice 1 lime
A dash olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper
A bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions, chillies and garlic. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are cooked. Add the spices and cook over a low heat stirring for 1-2 minutes. Add the beans in their liquid, the stock and bay leaves. Bring to a gentle simmer.
2. Add the peppers and sweet potato and cook gently, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 35 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked.
3. In the meantime, make the salsa. Char the corn cobs then slice off the kernels. Mix all the salsa ingredients in a bowl until combined.
4. Before serving, transfer one third of the soup to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Return to the pan with the remaining chunky soup. Add the strips of turkey and heat, adding a little water, if necessary until piping hot. Check the seasoning.
5. Serve the soup in bowls with a spoonful of the sweetcorn salsa, lime wedges and sour cream (if using).
Tip: Store any leftover sweetcorn salsa in the in the fridge.